In Feng Shui, clearing your clutter is the first step. Clutter blocks the free flow of energy in your environment, and placing Feng Shui enhancements in a cluttered environment will have little effect.
Clutter is anything unfinished, unused, unresolved, tolerated or disorganized.
Clutter is energy constipation:
It drains our energy
It makes us procrastinate and slows us down
It adversely affects our relationships, health and prosperity!
Keeps us stuck in the past
Congests our bodies and minds
Affects body weight
Distracts us from our inspiration and creativity
Affects how we feel about ourselves
There is no room for the new
How many of these can you relate to?
When we clear our clutter we get into our own power and create a space for new things to come into our lives. You will have more energy and creativity to design your life to reflect your authentic self.
10 Tips For Living In A Clutter Free Zone!
1. Use the Ultimate Clutter Test
Does it lift your energy? Do you use it? Do you love it?
Get a NO to these questions? Then let it go.
2. Set a kitchen timer for 30 minutes and clear a small area such as a kitchen drawer. Notice your energy shift. You will probably find you are feeling more energized and might have trouble stopping!
3. Make a list of all the unfinished things in your life - letters, phone calls you need to make, someone you need to apologize to, an appliance that doesn't work, keys you need to have cut. Then set out to complete these things. They have all been draining your energy.
4. Put things away within 30 seconds of using them.
5. Donate or Throw things away often. 80% of what is stored or saved is never used again - that applies to papers, clothes, magazines etc.
6. Ask yourself - do my clothes represent who I am now?
Do they make me feel good about myself?
Am I hanging onto something because I paid a lot for it?
Am I keeping clothes that are too small for me in the hope of fitting
into them again some day?
Let go of your old clothes and watch what happens.
7. Aim to have a collection of books that represent you as you are today, not who you were in the past.
8. Check your cupboards for food you no longer eat or like and donate to a food bank if its nonperishable. Regularly check the fridge for food past its 'eat by' date.
9. Sort mail daily and spend a little time every day clutter busting. Have a place to put things so you don't waste time looking for your keys etc.
10. Ask yourself before you buy something, "Do I really love this and need it, or will this too become a gift to the charity shop in a few months"
Updated from a Blog Post from 2004